Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Week 16: November 23, 2016 - Thanksgiving in Japan

** Preparation Day was moved due to the Thanksgiving holiday so that the missionaries near the military base in Okinawa could eat a tradition US meal with the families on the base.  

To all my lucky friends and family in America,

Enjoy the turkey! As I mentioned last week, Japan doesn't celebrate
thanksgiving in the traditional American sense, probably because it's
a very American holiday. Elder Gatherum and I got lucky last night, as
we had a lesson with George and Brother Sorensen, both of whom are
Americans. As things turn out, Brother Sorensen was a baker 20-30
years back, and he brought a pumpkin pie for the holiday spirit. Even
this far from home, pumpkin pie is still delicious! But besides that,
here in Yamaguchi, we'll be having a nice normal sized meal, but still
with hearts full of gratitude.

And out here in Japan, there is so much to be great fun for. For
starters, the fact that I'm in Japan amazes me every day, and I'm still
getting over it. It's so beautiful, and so joyous to be out here with
a message of joy. And I get to spend my time with Elder Welch, who
guides me through the language and culture. Truest without him I'd be
lost, and I'm glad I have a companion like him. After transfers, I get
to stay with him and Elder Gatherum, and Elder Rowe has moved in
instead of Elder West. The only downside is that I'm now outnumbered
3:1 by people from Utah, but I can tolerate it, and still be glad for
their company.

Even in the chaos of transfer week, we are still blessed with new
people and old friends. Though last week was new for Elder Rowe, and
he needed to plan zone activities with Elder Welch, we found time to
proselyte, and set up new return appointments. And in between that,
some of our English conversation students took us to a way nice
restaurant, just as a gift of appreciation. As I've said, I love being
in Japan, and working daily to share hope and peace. The people are
completely different than what I'm used to, in a language I can't even
pretend to understand, but it feels like home, because love and thanks
are ideas without nations.

I wish everyone a very happy thanksgiving holiday, and hope you all
bundle up. It sounds like the weather is getting colder, but as we
keep smiles on our faces, there can always be warmth inside.

Love from Yamaguchi,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse






No comments:

Post a Comment