Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week 18: December 4, 2016 - December Already!

Hey everybody!

I realized this week I have now been in Japan for two months! It's
crazy how fast the time has passed. A large part of me feels like it
was just yesterday that I landed in Fukuoka. But then I look back, and
I've been all around, talking to as many people as we can. I wouldn't
say my Japanese is anywhere close to passable, but I've been blessed
with enough to get by so far, and it grows every day. Crazy hard to
learn, but eventually I'm sure it will just flow out as I continue to
learn.

My big news from last week was Wednesday, where I was on Junkai with
Elder Gatherum. The way things worked out, we got all the lessons from
both companionships, so we taught Ueda, Murata, and George, all in one
day, almost back to back. It's crazy to have enough people to teach
that we can't even find new investigators, but that was our day. From
that, I also know why missionary work is exhausting. Not only do we
get to bike everywhere, but Teaching can take a lot out of you, when
you put everything you have into it. I was way tired that night.

Our other news was Elder Rowe, the new zone leader, turned 20! In
celebration, I tried to bake a cake/brownie/thing. By tried, I mean
gave it my best, but there might be a reason I wasn't a baker before
my mission. It didn't taste horrible, but... it needed a lot more
sugar. And baking soda. Possibly more eggs. And sprinkles for color.
As a whole, it fell a little flat, but it was fun. I've learned many
times over already that if you don't try something, you can't learn
from it, and if you learn, it wasn't really a permanent mistake. I've
got time left, so we'll see how things turn out in the future.




The church program for this year is also great. I have always loved
the use of light in the scriptures, and it really is the Light of
Christ that we get to share. Big actions, small gestures, and anything
in between all brighten the world. The entire program brings up two
quotes that I think are really appropriate this week, and I'll leave
those to end.

"To the world, you may be one person. But to one person, you may be the world."
"The smallest glimmer of light drives away darkness. Darkness can
never exist near light"

I know that the light of Christ and the light of goodwill are powerful
tools, and no matter what you do, it won't go unnoticed. As we follow
the guidelines of service, and do our best to share our personal
lights, lives can change and smiles will be found. Good luck to
everyone finishing tests going into the Christmas season. Remember to
have fun!

Love from Yamaguchi,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse




No comments:

Post a Comment