Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week 19: December 12, 2106 - The End of an Era...

Transfers were Monday December 11 so P-Day was pushed back a day...


Friends and family,

Winter has arrived in Japan! I now fully know why we have
sweaters, coats, gloves, and scarves. What before was simple fashion
is now glorious warmth, and it hasn't even started snowing! But it's
at the same time my favorite weather. We can bundle up as missionaries
and bike through the brisk wind, staying awake and alert, ready to
talk to anyone and everyone. It's cold, but it's a fun time to be out
in the world.

The sad part for me right now is that in two days Elder Welch goes
home, back to Utah. I've only been with him 10 weeks, but it's going
to be way sad not to have him in the mission at all. He was my
trainer, my first companion, and it's from him that I've learned how
to be a missionary in Japan. And he has a strong testimony of the help
Jesus has given to him. Especially in this Christmas season, losing a
friend who personally testifies of the Saviors love in his everyday
actions will be hard. So, the era of Elder Welch dies, and Elder
Woodhouse is left to rise from the ashes.

Thankfully, those ashes are only metaphorical. As far as missionary
work goes, I'm getting left in pretty good shape. We have a couple
stronger investigators that we found in these last few days, and have
plans to meet with them in the coming week. A couple of them are young
families, the Yamamoto and Kagaoka families, and they have the cutest
little kids. Both of them are interested in the new Christmas video,
and the message of light it brings. I love having the chance to teach
about that light daily.

The last thing for this week is a small miracle of that light, and how
often a small thing we do can mean more than we thought. Last Tuesday
Elder Reed and I (Junkai again!) were walking down the street and
talked to a middle aged man. We introduced ourself, and asked if he
needed any help. As it turned out, he had no phone, and needed help
getting around. So we got to spend the next hour and a half walking
around the town with this man, helping him to figure out where he was
going, and just taking with him. It was what we serve in order to do,
to help those who need help, to be a light, but he was just so
appreciative of our help and time. I love being in a position where
that is my duty, and even if he's forgotten us, it means a lot to me
to know that he brightened my day as well, by being willing to walk
around with us.

For this week, the only picture is of Elder Welch and I with Shota,
one of our investigators. He's a great guy, and actually spent part of
our lesson teaching me kanji. Again, being able to go teach and meet
so many great people is a blessing of coming to Japan.

That's all for now, sorry it got a touch long!

Love from Japan,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment