Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week 24: January 16, 2017 - Winter's Here

I might have said this last week, but it's cold! We got out first real
snowfall Saturday, and the roads have still been wet since then. But,
it's way fun to go out and talk to people. I'm sure that we look
terrifying, yet, we still get conversations. My heart completely goes
out to everyone willing to listen, and I know that it only gets better
if we can meet more.

Before it snowed last week, I had one of my most entertaining events
thus far. Last Monday night, Elder Osborne and I were out knocking
doors, and everything was going normal, so we switched buildings.
After about 5 minutes, we look back over, and see police cars pulling
up to the building we had been at. So, like any interested party, we
watch as two more cars pull up, and cops pour out, looking for
something. Eventually they look towards us, and come over, because
we're still in eyesight. By this point we've gone back to knocking, so
we end a contact, turn, and get to talk to the cops! As it turns out,
someone had been spooked by two white guys in winter gear knocking on
their door at 8, and called the cops. Thankfully, because we hadn't
done anything actually wrong, they sent us on our way after a couple
minutes of "yes it's late" and "we're sorry for being scary", so there
really isn't much story, but I can now say that I personally am
responsible for three cars worth of cops being mobilized. I love being
a missionary!

Besides cops, last week was fairly normal. We got in contact with most
of our investigators, and got to meet and teach them. It's cool to see
the hand of the Lord in guiding us to them, because a few people were
only available the select times we met them, so I'm grateful for that.
My biggest non-cop, non-weather news would be that I'm getting
firsthand knowledge on how to immerse yourself in a language. By
teaching and staying busy, I feel like my Japanese will have to spike
out of necessity, and I'll better be able to share the gospel of light
and warmth. But, that's still a touch in the future.

In closing this week, I'd just like to pose a question that President
Egan gave me during interviews last week. "How do you show your love?"
It is easy for me to say I love my mission, my companion, the people
of Japan, and this gospel. But at the end of the day, am I acting to
show that love? I feel that lots of the time our actions fall a touch
behind our words, and my challenge to everyone, myself most definitely
included, would be to think about how we share our love. Because after
all, the most joy comes not from hoarding, but sharing.

With that said, I do love you all. Thank you so much for the notes,
emails, and pictures! Until next week!

Elder Mitchell Woodhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment