Monday, January 23, 2017

Week 25: January 23, 2017 - Everything Still Feels New...

Greetings from Yamaguchi!

This time I know I've mentioned it, but it's winter now! Being out on
a bike makes me realize how cold it can get. But, there is no place
that I would rather be than here in Japan, teaching the gospel and
meeting so many amazing people. Even with snow falling, it just makes
the landscape more beautiful, and drives us to work harder. No matter
the weather, it's always the most wonderful time of the year when you
are a missionary!

And the reason for that is the people that you can meet, and how you
can see them change. For example, last Tuesday Elder Osborne and I
were housing in a neighborhood, and everyone was shutting the door on
us. Everyone, except a way nice 12 year old boy. We talked to him for
about 5 minutes, then his mom came out, and next thing we knew we were
getting fed and having a discussion on God inside their nice, warm
house. And, both mother and son made time to come to Eikaiwa, and are
just genuinely good people. The best part is that this isn't just an
isolated experience. Every time things feel hard, there is always
something to brighten my day. Sometimes it's big like this, and
sometimes it's as small as just being happy, but without fail it is
there.

The biggest news from this week isn't even practically being adopted
on Tuesday though. On Wednesday we met with George, and received some
of the greatest news I could dream of. We were just discussing the
general idea of agency, and how Gods plan centers around us choosing
for ourselves. So, out of the blue, George tells us he wants to make
the choice to be baptized! It's an answer to prayers, and I know he is
ready. I can't take any credit, but just by meeting with him the past
months I have seen a light grow in him as he studies the Book of
Mormon. Through baptism, he will always be able to feel that warmth,
and commit to his part in the eternal plan, on day to be clean and
happy for eternity. I'm way excited to keep working with him in the
future.

Lastly, my cultural dose for this week has taught everyone that white
guys should not be in charge of making mochi. On Saturday the branch
had a mochi making party, which is when you basically pound rice and
water into a sticky paste, flavor as you would like, and eat it. But,
for some reason pounding rice into a paste is much harder than it
sounds. I don't know why, but when Elder Harris and I tried, it came
out much worse than when the older Japanese men made it. Maybe in two
years I'll have enough skills to do it, but only time will tell.

I love you all, and miss everyone! Thank you so much for your letters,
both emails and snail mail, and know I read and cherish every single
one I get. Until next week!

Elder Mitchell Woodhouse




No comments:

Post a Comment