Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Week 30: Feb 27, 2017 - The Standard Cats

Greetings from the land that might be getting warmer!

It's amazing how much more attention I pay to weather now that we go
out in it every day. So it might just me getting used to winter after
a couple months. But I think I might have decided spring is my new
favorite season, cause it's not (as) cold anymore! Either way, we get
the chance to go out every day, and share a message of joy and
gladness, so I know I'm not complaining. Just in a few months, I've
realized I'm so much more happy, and if there is any way other people
can feel this, I'll be out talking to them about it.

And, sometimes, ok, most of the time, it's in Japanese! But it's ok,
because while I still don't know everything, I know enough. Not on my
own of course, but as God has a need for me to speak, I can speak.
It's probably good, because I've gotten quite adept at talking in
English, and I can't thing of what I would say if I was talking to
people in my mother tongue. But it would work out somehow!

But my improvements, and/or lack thereof, aren't as important as the
people we get to meet. One of my favorite from this week is a guy
named Noguchi who invited us over for dinner Thursday night. He met
the missionaries right before I got to Omuta, but he loves English,
and has been coming to Eikaiwa. The coolest thing about him though is
that he has never been outside of Japan. His English knowledge is
completely conversational, but it's only from self study for years. He
wanted to speak English, so he found a way. And now, it's payed of,
and he still studies, still tries to improve. If I can learn anything
from this, it's the importance of goals. When we set goals, and work
our hardest to obtain them, nothing can stop us.

And when the goals are righteous, like a missionaries desire to share
this love, we have God walking besides us to help us along. Like
Monday night, when we had an appointment cancel on us, only to house
into an amazing mother who welcomed us in two houses later. Or Friday,
when on Junkai in Nagamine (about an hour south) we met a lady who
lives in, of all places, Omuta, where I'm from. Or like I mentioned
earlier, having two white guys, neither over 20, walking around
teaching people in Japanese. This truly is a worked guided by a power
greater than we can even fathom.

Of course, we also get to have fun while sharing the gospel. For
example, sometimes we find cats (sorry for the blurry picture), and
they jump on our laps. Or they follow us around a neighborhood. It's
small things, like stopping to smell the roses, that really complete
the experience. I just started, but I wouldn't trade anything in the
world for this opportunity.

Love you all,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse



No comments:

Post a Comment