Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Week 69: November 27, 2017 - Transfers!

Hey everyone,

Once again, I'm way sorry about last week. We mistimed our
thanksgiving activity, so I had next to no time to email anyone. With
that said, I've got plenty of time today, so I can tell you all about
it! And about the weather, because it's about to be December, and we
are still out in shorts and short sleeves for pday. We also got
transfer calls today, and after four months on Amami, I'll be leaving
Elder Zeller and the island behind. Not to fear, starting on Friday,
I'll be moving to a different island, the island of Ishigaki! It's the
farthest south point in the Japan Fukuoka mission, and actually closer
to Taiwan than mainland Japan, so it should be an adventure! My new
companion is named Elder Arnold, he came into the mission with Elder
Zeller and Elder Ehlert, so it will be fun to keep working with him.
Also on the island is Elder Yanada, who I lived with on Amami, and
Elder Watanabe, who Elder Ishizu trained after I left Okinawa, so I'm
really excited for the upcoming transfer!

Of course, moving on means that I'll be leaving Amami, and all of the
great people that I've meet here. If I tried to mention everyone, I'm
sure I'd miss many a person, so I'll keep the list short. One of my
favorite people to work with has been Miwa and her family. She has
known missionaries for a long time, and is really supportive of us,
acting almost as our mother away from home. The main reason I want to
write about her this week though is a question she asked us about
baptism, about our purpose. To quote, roughly, "When people believe
that they are right, does that excuse them from their actions?" She
has been asked many, many times by missionaries about when she will be
baptized, because the missionaries know it will help her. But she
hasn't had her answer yet. It was a testimony builder for me because I
was able to share my purpose,  which, above all, is to bring others to
Christ. Of course, baptism is an essential step, and I recommend it to
all those seeking comfort and solace. But just because she isn't
baptized, I don't think time with Miwa has been wasted. To bring
someone closer, to bring even a little more light into their lives,
that is why I was called. And I've felt that with her.

She is just one of many people that I think I was sent to Amami for.
Another person is obviously me, for personal growth. And another thing
might have been our thanksgiving party. In Japan, instead of grilling
hot dogs and hamburgers, you yakiniku, which translates to grill meat.
Knowing it was thanksgiving, as the four missionaries, we planned an
all you can eat yakiniku party, which turned into a huge success. For
exactly what it entailed, you can look at the pictures, but suffice it
to say I felt American again. Not thanksgiving American persay, but
definitely a good time.

Sorry to skip out last week, but I'll make sure to email again with
picture of my new island! Love you all!

Elder Woodhouse










No comments:

Post a Comment