Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Week 7: September 21, 2016 - Getting Closer to Leaving the MTC

Hey Mom and Dad!

It sounds like things are really picking up with school and driving back home! Its crazy to think that Becca will be driving the Beige around in only a week, but I'm sure it will be a big help to have another driver again. I'm sure she would love to pick up Garrett when he is really sweaty right after soccer some weeks. Things here at the MTC have cooled down after last weeks three apostles in a row, but its starting to get crazy again with us leaving in less than 2 weeks.

Before I get into all of that though, I have a Sienfield story from last week (and a bit before). The MTC serves food like any standard cafeteria, and like you might guess, on occasion, maybe once or twice a week, we get hamburgers. This week, as we were eating, I looked over at one of the other elders in my district, and he wasn't picking the burger up, but instead was sitting there, cutting it into nice bite sized pieces, separating the meat from the bun, and eating the entire thing in that manner. It made me think of the Sienfield where they start eating the Snickers with a fork, and the memory made me crack up. I think that it was a great gift for Dad, and I'll have to catch up on them when I get home. 

In other news of the MTC ramping things up, the picked a choir to go to conference last week.To select who would go, because you can't take the 1000+ person MTC choir, they passed out forms to 'collect data' on the choir for history. What really happened is that they took people that circled 5 (out of 5) for singing ability and sight reading ability. I both didn't realize and felt like I wasn't the best, so I'm not going to conference, but, I know people and I will actually be able to pick people out during the Saturday Afternoon session, besides Larry and Sally and whoever else dad knows. 

Even though I didn't make the Conference Choir, I will be auditioning to perform at devotionals tomorrow. A lot of our Kohai sing, and they were getting together a group of people to an 8 person Acappella arrangement of Abide with Me. Because our classroom is right next to theirs, they asked us first, and now I am part of the group. I think I might be in a bit over my head, but thus far it sounds fine, and so I will tell you next week how the audition goes. 

Last thing for this week is that our Branch Presidency got rearranged, and our second counselor, Brother Turpin, has been transferred to a different Japanese Branch. But, what is both really cool and sad about this is that he actually will be out of town until we leave, giving the Aaronic Priesthood to his oldest grandson. When he was telling us this it made me realize how thankful I was to have Grandpa come out and do that for me, and how great it is that I can still remember it. 

I think that's all the news I have for this week. We have two devotionals left, and then a weekend of General Conference until we get to Japan! Sending a phone sounds like a great idea, but I don't think there is anything else I need. Maybe a new yellow or green tie to go with my blue suit, as one of mine got spilled on, but I can easily dry clean my tie with money from my MTC card or just get some cheap ones when I get to Japan. For sure don't send any food, because for once in my away from home life we have way too much of it. 

Thanks for the email! 

Love,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse




No comments:

Post a Comment