Monday, October 31, 2016

Week 13 : Oct 31, 2016 - Happy Halloween!!




Happy Halloween!

Fun fact about Halloween in Japan, after Halloween, Christmas is the
next big holiday. So, last Sunday, now that the Halloween party is
done, we got to start thinking about the Christmas party, of which I
might be the only elder that's here right now that is still here after
transfers are said and done. But Halloween is still celebrated in
Japan, perhaps not near as big as in America, but we still got to have
a party at the church. And, I didn't have to be a missionary, but I
borrowed traditional Japanese clothing, and had fun! The other elders
in the apartment we an Egyptian (Elder West), the Joker (Elder
Gatherum), and a Pokémon trainer (Elder Welch). It was fun, and we met
lots of cool people as it went along.

Besides the Halloween Party, Elder West and I also came across a sumo
convention Saturday night. Sadly, the actual matches were not on
P-Day, but it was cool to meet some of wrestlers that were walking
around town. In Japan, sumo is a huge deal, so Yamaguchi also had a
lot of people from around Japan. In the past week, we met quite a few
people from Tokyo, Yokohama, and other towns I don't yet recognize.


I don't have a picture of me in a suit or my bike this week, but I'll
make sure to get one for next week. Hopefully I'll still be in suits,
and not in winter gear. It's starting to get a bit chilly here! I use
the bike every day, biking up and down the streets, and going to and
from appointments. In this area, it really is the preferential way to
move, and I think that even if we had access to cars, which we don't,
we still would be biking just for convince. I'm not really sure how
far we go, but it's far enough that we need bikes for sure.

Most p-days so far have been exploring various Japanese stores around
the area, and looking for suit deals. It's odd, but sometimes the
suits in Japan drop under 100, or even 50 dollars, as Elder Welch has
told me, and so we've stopped in to look at deals on our way home a
couple times. I've even seen a suit, vest, pant combo for $30, but I
don't think I need a new suit this early in my mission. But, that
might be what I spend the money from the Mins on, and time will tell.

I don't really think I need anything, I have a good amount of personal
money left over from what I brought, because all I had to buy was the
bike (no luggage fees!) and I have no plans to burn through it all at
once. I'll send more pictures of me and Japan, I think we might be
going to some traditional gardens this week or next week. But really,
the largest attraction in Yamaguchi is bathhouses and sake, and we
don't do either, so shopping and looking may be the path we take. 

Japan continues to be such a peaceful country to serve in. Our branch
has about 30-40 active members, and they are always willing to go on
joints with us to teach lessons, or give us food. In the past week,
we've received over 10 kilos of rice, bringing our apartment to about
50! I'm learning a bit more on what you can do with rice, but for now,
it's a pretty solid staple for any and every meal. Just cut some
chicken, mix a sauce, pour it on the rice, and you’rer good! We do vary
that a little, some days with pot stickers, and some with okonomyaki
(take everything and fry it in a pancake), so life is good.

Going along with the food are the investigators we have. Teach a
lesson is one of my favorite things so far. For example, we got to
teach a girl named Sei with two of the members on Saturday. Because my
Japanese is primarily Gospel oriented, I can understand parts of what
is going on. But I can testify even without understanding near any of
it, you can still teach in Japanese. It's just amazing to realize that
some people, like Sei, haven't heard any part of this message before.
The simplicity of the gospel, and the basis of our message in joy, as
President Nelson discussed in conference, can be shared in any
language, by any people. I love the chance I have to serve, and the
willingness of people to listen, even for just a few moments on the
streets.

Thank you everyone for the updates from your lives! It's great to hear
and see all of you, and to know that you are doing well, wherever in
the world you may be!

Until next week,
Elder Woodhouse




No comments:

Post a Comment