Monday, October 24, 2016

Week 12: October 24, 2016 - Blue sky's in Yamaguchi

Hey everyone!

Happy to report that things are going great in Japan. I loved to get a
picture of the yard at home, we don't have many trees that size
around, and we never climb the mountains to see trees. But the trees
we do have are still nice and green, and the weather is absolutely
beautiful for suits. We'll see how long it lasts, because Hokkaido got
their first snowfall last week, and it's only a matter of time for it
to work down to us. On the bright side, according to the locals, that
means typhoon season is over! Here's to good weather for thanksgiving
(even though it's not celebrated)!

In terms of investigators over the past week, we were blessed to meet
a number of new people. I spent half the week working with Elder
Gatherum while Elder Welch was on splits with the district leaders,
and I saw a bunch of new parts of Yamaguchi that I hadn't been too
before. The highlights of the week were Kevin and Amelia, and George.

Kevin and Amelia are a couple with two kids, and they normally come to
English class Friday nights. They love the missionaries, and have met,
through English or otherwise, with more than I could name over the
past years. So, in the spirit of just being kind people, they had us
over for lunch on Wednesday. Amazing! It was my first time eating
udon, and I love it! But besides the food, they are just genuinely
great people. And you might hear me say that a lot, but it's always
true. We got to share a small message after lunch, and they are having
us back again this week, but it's nice to know that good people are
always out there.

On the topic of good people, that's where George comes in. He is an
older gentleman from all over the US and Japan, and luckily for me
speaks English. We first ran into him my first day in Yamaguchi, but
were just able to meet him last week. He is also just one of the
nicest people I've met, and already invited us to talk with him again.
And, if that wasn't enough, he came to church! It makes me very
grateful to be in this area, because Brother Sorenson (from Idaho) is
a member, and a great help for me and George in understanding at
Church.

Nothing else crazy happened this week. We had okonomyaki (pictured),
which is a type of fried Japanese meat pancake thing. It's kinda hard
to explain, but it's good food. I love the Japanese culture, and to
daily get to embrace it is amazing.

Hope everyone is doing great at home!


With love,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment