Monday, October 17, 2016

Week 11: October 17, 2016 - Yamaguchi: Week 2

Hey everyone,

How are things going? Things out here in Japan are going great, and
can only get better once I learn this language! This Sunday was the
first time that I was able to go to church, because last week was
General Conference. But, conference is in English, and normal church
is not. Suffice it to say that I understood less than I had thought I
would, and I had low expectations going in. But, I did know how to
sing, and when they were praying, so it was still a great meeting, and
even with the language barrier I could feel the Spirit and reverence
of what was being said. Now, I just need to work in the understanding,
but that will come with time.

As I've been here, I've seen that my individual language skills aren't
as important as I'd thought they would be. It's a hard truth taught in
the MTC that it's not us, but the Spirit that converts people, but it
wasn't necessarily something I had seen until now. But even without
knowing much Japanese, I can stop people and start conversations, and
smile as Elder Welch teaches them. Between adding my small parts, I
can just beam joy and genuine honesty, and it will help. Now, of
course, that's not to say that I don't feel a need to learn Japanese,
but just that it's not as important as I thought it would be.

Now on to the fun parts, the food and the kids. For the first time, I
have now been chased by a mob of small children! We were housing in a
younger neighborhood, and about 10 kids come up to us, kinda just
seeing what we were doing. Elder Welch and I talk with them for a
little, and then try to knock on some more doors, but the kids aren't
having any of it. They love seeing two gajin talking in Japanese and
English, and so we walk back to our bikes to move on. But the kids
keep coming! Even after we get on bikes, some of them have bikes, and
they keep coming until we get out of the neighborhood. Not an everyday
experience, but it was pretty hectic. And to cap it off, shortly
thereafter, we street contact a man for Massachusetts who is in town
to teach English. Pretty fun day!

For food, I have now had real sushi! Last Thursday was zone meeting,
and afterwards the entire zone went out (pictured below). It's
amazing! And, different than American rolls. I forgot to get pictures,
but instead of a roll, it's just rice with fish (or octopus, squid,
duck, or nato). I'm glad to get some, and hopefully we go back for
more next meeting! Also in the food category for this week is Nato, or
fermented soybeans. Most people aren't the biggest fan, because of the
snotty texture they can have, but it's dirt cheap for breakfast so...
I tried some! Not the best thing in the world, but if eating nato
means I can drink more melon Fanta and eat more chocolate fries, then
it might be something I go for.

I think that that's the big news from last week, so I'll just describe
he pictures real quick. First is Macdonalds, crazier in Japan than
America (see chocolate Halloween fries). The next two are my
apartment, complete with a futon rolled in the corner. Next comes zone
sushi, and you can almost see the conveyor belts we ordered from.
Lastly for this week is the view from our balcony, out over the city,
and the church in the morning. As I said, things are going great, and
I'm glad to have this chance to work in the service of the Lord.

With love from
山口
,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse






No comments:

Post a Comment