Monday, January 29, 2018

Week 75: Jan 8, 2018 - 2018 well underway!

2018 is already moving really fast!

As I mentioned last week, we were able to have the baptismal service
for Sister Masako on Sunday, and it was crazy to be a part of one at
last. Because the ocean was going to be frigid (even on Ishigaki it
gets a little cold) we ended up doing it on the roof, which is a first
for me. But even with the weather, we were able to have a spiritual
experience, and it has been great to work with her and hear her
testimony grow throughout my time here so far. I think one of the most
amazing things was hearing her testimony, where she spoke from her
heart about following Christ to the end. The end is a long time away,
but really, that journey is simply one small step at a time. Little by
little we draw closer, thinking the entire time that we are making no
progress. Until one day, we look back, and realize that we're on top
of the world. As Masako quoted, the Lord promises in Ether to turn our
weaknesses into strengths, if we choose to allow Him, and then we will
improve and grow more than we ever imagined.

It reminds me of a conversation I had with Elder Arnold as we were
dendoing, about a quote from I believe President Hinkley. He said
roughly that 'we need to disagree, without being disagreeable'. We
can't compromise our standards for the world, because we want to grow
closer to the Lord. But when we are debating over the new color for
the house, be it blue or black, what is our attitude? When we meet
people that don't think as we do, possibly even don't agree with us
(and we meet a lot as missionaries), what is our reaction. I like the
question because I don't know if it has a single answer, besides draw
unto Christ. More than anything this transfer, I think that's been
something I've been able to relearn. The closer you come to Christ,
the more you try to emulate Him, the more you will be filled with
light and love in your life. It's truly an amazing time to be a part
of the hastening of the Lords work, and feel the glory and light
firsthand.

This week is also transfer week, but we don't have calls yet, so I'll
have to keep you all posted next week! Thanks for the emails!

Love,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse



No comments:

Post a Comment