Monday, January 29, 2018

Week 77: Jan 22, 2018 - Elder Choi!

Hey everyone!

It's crazy to keep hearing about cold temperatures and record winters.
I guess I left at just the right time, because I haven't pulled my
winter jacket out yet. Just rain, but that's become my favorite
weather. Only crazy people would run around in the rain talking to
everybody! And that sums up a mission perfectly!

Of course, Elder Choi of the 1st quorum of the 70 had a few different
pieces of advice, besides just running around soaking wet. As a member
of the area presidency, he did a mission tour last week that we were
lucky enough to attend. After flying up to Naha and taking a taxi all
the way up to the Okinawa church building, where I served 6 months
ago?, it felt like I was going back in time a little. But, his address
and training really helped me see how far I've been able to come. We
learned about trying harder, about unity, about lifelong goals, about
working with the spirit, really, a little about everything. But by
listening with the spirit, it was amazing to see what things I've had
the Holy Ghost testify to me before, and now, what I need to focus on,
with that focus being push a little harder for Christ. There is always
a little more, just something else we can do, and as I've seen in just
a few short days from the conference, most of the time we just need to
be willing to look for it.

I think the coolest example was yesterday, when Elder Hafen and I were
walking through a neighborhood. We both saw a man walking around, so
we go over and talk to him, and as we are talking, a car drives by,
sees us, slows down, and the driver, a young man, starts talking to
us. I've never had that happen before, never talked to people running
motor vehicles, so of course I have to go and see what Yuya is asking
about. As things work out, he moved to Ishigaki from Okinawa recently,
loves English, and happens to be a 23 year old kid that's way easy to
talk to. So through divine help, we found another English student, and
someone to share the eternal works of God with. And, the first person
we talked to, our initial contact, had also been deeply pondering the
existence of God and Christ. When we gave him the Book of Mormon, he
said "I didn't know such a book existed. Of course I will read it".
Once more, something I think I've been saying recently, but God has
guided and continues to guide this work. It really makes life simple
as we do our best, and let Him do the rest.

So sadly, I don't have the conference picture from last week, but I do
have last conferences, so enjoy!

Love you all,
Elder Woodhouse


No comments:

Post a Comment