Sunday, August 20, 2017

Week 54: August 14, 2017 - The tropical life!

Hey everyone!

Its a blast down on the island of Amami, quite literally! Due to the
previous typhoon, the big summer festival all around town was pushed
back to this week, which included boat races, food, and fireworks!
Sadly, we weren't able to join and watch a lot of it, because we were
in the wrong place at the wrong time, but all four of the missionaries
were able to gather with one of the less active members, and watch the
end of the fireworks. It's odd, because I didn't watch any for the 4th
of July, and now I get some on a tiny island in the middle of the
pacific. It just goes to show how different cultures have different
celebrations, and I'm just blessed to be in the middle of it.

Besides explosions, Elder Jo and I also witnessed the hand of the Lord
guiding His children over the past few days. We have had a large focus
on bringing people to church as a mission, as a way to help the feel
firsthand the spirit and love of God. However, we haven't had any
people to bring to church, until Saturday, when we met Sakai walking
on the street, maybe 5-600 meters from the building. As we talk to
him, we end up walking back to the chapel, and teaching him more about
who God is, and how he communicates with us. Being slightly
interested, Sakai listens, and says he will come back the next day for
church. However, when 10:00 rolled around, he wasn't here yet. So we
went inside, and church started. But who comes halfway through but
Sakai, ready to learn and with a desire to be there. It's crazy how
fast we went from having nothing to be helping one of Gods children,
one of our beloved brethren. As He says in 2 Nephi, "I am able to do
mine own work", and the missionaries role is just to be the tools, the
hands he needs.

The branch here is about 10-15 people per week, counting the
four missionaries. Three of the missionaries in the apartment (me,
Elder Yanada, and Elder Jo) all came to Japan together, leaving Elder
Johnson the oddball out, but he's from Maryland, so I have an east
coast friend.

As for food, I tried to take pictures of what I was eating, but I
forgot a lot, so I only have three. But on Naze, we do individual
meals every meal, every day, so I'm getting a lot of practice on
making whatever I want.

I love being able to serve out here everyday, for two years of my
life. The longer I've been out the more I've seen how much I've grown,
and how much good the Lord has been able to do through me. And, to top
that off, I'm living on a tropical island, feasting on dragonfruit and
passion fruits! Thank you for all of your support and emails, I love
you all!

Elder Mitchell Woodhouse






No comments:

Post a Comment