Thursday, August 9, 2018

Week 80 : Feb 12, 2018 - An Island with 3 Missionaries?

Hello from Ishigaki! It finally got cold enough to unpack my gloves...
but now they just sit on my desk. The weather is doing its thing, and
as missionaries we are blessed to continue with ours, no matter what
the condition. This past week I think we had one of the craziest ones,
because our little island lost an elder. Due to transfers elsewhere in
the mission, Elder Watanabe got called up to Fukuoka on Thursday, two
weeks before actual transfers, and we don't get a replacement. So for
the next little while, it's me, Elder Hafen, and Elder Arpilleda,
working in a trio!

Thus far, it's just been odd. It's already a touch odd to knock on
random people's doors, even though most of that has died off already,
but now when they open it it's three random people! We have definitely
surprised more than one person. But it's amazing to see and hear the
power of three voices testifying of truth. So we will continue on, and
look for the miracles and tender mercies of the Lord, trusting in Him.

One of our cool experiences was on Friday, when we met with a
professional golfer to discuss the gospel. He had recognized
missionaries from when some when golfing on pday a while before, and
so he listened, shared his thoughts, and we had a solid discussion on
who God is. The interesting part for me was when he described himself
as playing 'devils advocate' with God. It was a great word choice,
because as I've reflected on it, I've realized that you always lose.
No matter how you look at the Book of Mormon, there is no explanation
besides the one Jospeh Smith gave that fits. When you look at God, and
the patterns and eternal laws He is bound to follow, the promises He
has bound Himself to keep, it makes sense. So our promise to our golf
friend, on Friday and going forward, is to try your best, and when the
wisdom of man fails, God will be ready to lift you up.

The other thing I started was a personal project to read the Book of
Mormon again. It's pretty small, but I added a picture of my board,
with the goal to fill it up by the end. As President Nelson promised
in last conference, as I've read it, every day, I've felt better and
made better choices, every day. It's a true book.

Love you all, and make sure someone tells Aunt Lindsey that I love her!
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse



No comments:

Post a Comment