Thursday, August 9, 2018

Week 81: Feb 19, 2018 - It's Transfer Time Again





Hey everyone,

I always forget to give a heads up, but as you can tell by the late
email, it's transfer week in the Japan Fukuoka mission. Being in a
trio, all it means for us is we will get a new elder, but it does
involve some switching around. Elder Hafen, my companion to start last
transfer, will now be Elder Arpellidas companion, and I will be
leaving to Fukuoka tomorrow to pick up a new missionary, who should
arrive from the MTC tonight! It's going to be a blast, but I don't
know anything about him yet, so I'll send more info and pictures next
week.

As for our past week, the trio has been, as expected, a new and
exciting experience. We've gone all over the island, visiting members,
less actives, investigators, and all the people we haven't met yet. I
think one of the cool visits was to one members gallery exhibition.
She runs a calligraphy school, which makes it near impossible for her
to come to church, but we heard through the grapevine about the
gallery hall. So, we stopped by Saturday morning and got to talk to
her, her son, and enjoy the culture. None of us could put it into
words, but looking at the words on the walls was extremely peaceful,
even though we can't read most of it. From the things we could read, I
think my favorite read (roughly): "Until you are able to achieve your
dreams, put for effort and make yourself". Thankfully, through the
atonement of Christ, we can make ourselves, and remake ourselves,
until we are the best person God wants us to be, better than even our
wildest dreams could have taken us.

And that's where I think I am right now. Even a few short months ago,
let alone a year or two ago, I could never have imagined ending up
here, on Ishigaki, surrounded by amazing missionaries, with thousands
of our brothers and sisters living around us. I'm speaking Japanese,
but more importantly, through the blessings of God, speaking with and
through the Spirit. I feel more patient, more caring, brighter, and
have energy as I follow His teachings. I don't think I ever guessed
that this could happen. Looking at where I came from, and to where I
feel like I've come, sometimes looking forward appears to be a sheer
cliff wall. But I get the feeling that living life like a missionary,
one day, one experience at a time, I'll look back and wonder how I
ever climbed so high. Probably a little early to be reflecting on
things I've learned, but that my goal, to be focused on living each
day I have left a little better than the last one, and letting the
Lord work his mighty miracles around me, as a tool in His hands.

Love you all,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment