Thursday, August 9, 2018

Week 85: March 18, 2018 - Time does what it will...it flies!

Hey Everyone,

I'll be honest, I don't have much exciting news for the past week. It
feels like yesterday that I was sitting down to type our last email,
and now it's that time of week again. One week closer to Easter and
General Conference, and one more week with Elder Smith as my
companion. It's been amazing to watch the change in him as we've
worked more and more together. The first week he was here was really
hard, especially for him to focus on the work, but I think that the
past week was faster for him than for me. As he has dedicated himself
to serving God, and I've been able to follow suit, we have seen
miracles, including those internal changes to be a better and more
focused individual, striving to help all of those around us.

Some of those people are Yuto and Yamashiro, both of whom I have been
able to see the light of the gospel come into their lives. Yuto
actually met the missionaries three years ago, and every time he talks
about his experience, or church, or the Book of Mormon, it's with a
joyful memory. Yamashiro, I think I've mentioned before, has just
gained a brightness around him. And he can't even read the Book of
Mormon by himself yet, but has already noticed the effects of talking
and learning of Christ. But, our job and missionaries and members
isn't just helping those outside of the church, for missionary work is
nothing more than home teaching to others, and vice versa. So it's
also been fun to watch the missionaries in my apartment, Elder Hafen
and Elder Arpellida grow with me and Elder Smith. I think one of the
reasons I ended up being called to an island was because it's helped
me to see the influence that people play on each other. It is really
simple to teach, work, and enjoy time one on one, letting your light
shine and feeding off others when you live with all the missionaries
you work with! So between that and splits, working with everyone
individually, we are learning a lot.

Some of the other people we are blessed to work with are all of the
members on Ishigaki. We actually had branch conference on Sunday, so a
lot of people from the stake came to visit, but it was an amazing
spirit. Someone, I don't remember who, remarked that what the branch
lacks in members it makes up for in energy, and a feel that that is
100% true. No one here feels sorry that we don't have a 200+ person
ward yet, but they trust in the Lord, magnify whatever calling they
have to the extreme, and press on with a smile. Of sad news is our
branch president, Ashimine Kaicho, who is transferring off of the
island for work on Okinawa, in Naha. I've been able to learn a lot
from him since I got here, primarily because of the expectations he
has for us as missionaries.  He knows that we can do what the Lord
needs done, and has helped remind me of that every time we meet, which
in turn has pushed me to do better. It was his families last week, and
we are all sad to see them leave.

That's about it, but I do have pictures from this week! Love you all!

Elder Woodhouse







No comments:

Post a Comment