Thursday, August 9, 2018

Week 84: March 11, 2018 - True Happiness

Hey Everyone,

It's been an odd week on Ishigaki. We had interviews with President
Egan, and Zone Conference the next day, and that led to a lot of time
inside, which has become an odd feeling. But it was good for us,
because it all ended up being a refocus on the things that really
matter, primarily our personal testimony of the gospel. As a boiled
down point, the idea the difference in my mind of knowledge and
understanding. If a missionary, in this case, knows the gospel is
true, they will serve a mission, and be able to go through the
motions. But when you understand in your heart, when the Holy Ghost
has witnessed to you beyond a doubt that Jesus Christ is the Savior of
the world, and only by Him and through Him we can find any measure of
lasting hope, you aren't just going through the motions. As anyone who
has served a mission knows, and most people that haven't have heard,
it's not sunshine an rainbows every day. People turn us down. People
reject the gospel. And if you only know it's true, then that's the
end. But as we received in training, when you understand it, the
Spirit will speak through you, because God will not give up on any of
His children.

A personal experience with that happened Saturday, as Elder Smith and
I were knocking doors in an apartment. As we go down the stairs, we
meet a 20 year old kid named Aoi, just sitting in the dark, on the
edge of the light. I tried to talk to him, to introduce us, and he
wasn't really having it. But I'll give someone multiple chances, so we
talk again, and he slowly opens up, telling us a little about his
life, about his basketball dreams and work problems, his life up until
this point and a little of what he wants to do. As Elder Holland has
promised everyone, when you listen with your heart, there will be
something the Spirit will relate to the gospel, because, the gospel
literally covers everything. Christ suffered everything, through which
He can heal everything. And as this is going through my head, we get
to testify to Aoi of what his life can become through our Savior.
About how God wants him as a missionary, to spread light and eternal
life to all of His children. You can tell when someone wasn't
expecting what you said, when it causes them to think. It happens when
you let the spirit take control, and he was definitely touched in some
way. Even though we couldn't set up anything else with him now, it
also touched me. Because in that moment, for that man, I was blessed
with an understanding of why I'm here. It's not just because it's a
good thing, or it will help people lives, which of course it will.
It's because this is the only way to find true happiness, the type
that lasts through trials, the type that crosses the veil to eternal
families. No one can do that, unless the have the help, power, and
authority of God.

I don't know near everything, even though there are times that I feel
like I should. After all, haven't I been out over a year? In the life
of a missionary, that feels like a life well lived. So I look forward
to learning, and understanding more each and every day, for my mission
and my life. But I do know that God watches each and every one of His
children. As Elder Rasband taught last conference, He doesn't work
through coincidences. When He calls those we know and love to other
places, other countries, or even across the veil, back to our eternal
home, it is through His timing.

The fact that in this life, I will never again get to see Aunt
Lindsey is hard for me to comprehend. And I don't think I fully have
grasped that yet. I wish with all my heart that I could be with all of
you, to hug you and just be together. But somehow, this is what I need
to learn, this is how we will learn, until the day we meet again,
rejoicing forever. Until that day, I have already felt her presence,
and that of others who love and care for me. We are guided by our
Father, and loved by our Elder Brother, the keeper of the gate, who
has welcomed one of His siblings back home.

I love all of you, and my heart goes out to everyone I can't help from
Japan, especially the Cantwell family at this time. Know I'm doing my
best, and that I know that this is Gods work and His glory, of which
we are all blessed to play a part.

With Love,
Elder Mitchell Woodhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment